Registered NDIS Provider

What programs can cover counselling services?

Mental Health conditions can be covered by a variety of government programs. 

Better Access Program

Those who qualify for the Better Access initiative will be able to receive a Medicare rebate for selected mental health services. Alternatively, your GP can refer you to psychological services through the local Primary Health Networks. This funding provides services to populations in areas deemed to be at high risk or have poor access to mental health support. 

You are eligible for Better Access if you are diagnosed with a mental health condition such as bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis or anxiety. If your doctor says you are eligible, you will then require a Mental Health Treatment Plan developed by your doctor with you. 

People using the Better Access program are given 6 individual and 6 group treatment sessions provided by an eligible medical practitioner such as a psychologist, social worker or occupational therapist. Depending on your case, you may be referred for another 4 treatment sessions if your doctor thinks it will help. 

Through Better Access, recipients can claim for up to 10 individual and 10 group services each calendar year. These can either be face to face or telehealth consultations. Moreover, those who are experiencing severe or enduring mental health impacts due to COVID-19 are eligible for extra support. They can access an extra 10 sessions and require a Mental Health Treatment Plan in place. 

Victim Support Services 

Victims suffering from the psychological and emotional impacts of a crime are eligible for counselling to aid in their recovery. 

Recipients are eligible for 22 hours of free counselling. Once the allocation is used, additional hours can be approved where exceptional reasons are evident, or if the recipient was a victim of child sexual assault or child abuse. 

Those who can apply for these services include primary victims, secondary victims, family victims and relevant family members of homicide victims. For more information, see Eligibility criteria.

There is no time limit to apply for counselling. For information on how to apply, visit the NSW Government Victims Services website.

Workers Compensation Counselling

If you have been injured in relation to work or on your journey to work, you may be eligible to receive Workers Compensation benefits under either the NSW Workcover scheme, or the Commonwealth Government’s ComCare scheme.

Recipients may be entitled to medical and related treatment in relation to your injuries. Your doctor may recommend psychology services as part of these schemes. 

If you have obtained a Workcover or ComCare medical certificate from your GP, which includes a recommendation that you see a Psychologist, you can contact Enaaly to obtain these services. 

Skip to content